Monday, November 29, 2010

Roc Nation v. Young Money: Who's gonna rule the upcoming year?




I actually like this video. Even though we all know that Roc Nation has far better MCs than YM has but we're trying to see who'll have more mainstream success. We all know the IMMENSE popularity with the mainstream audience already gives them an advantage and to add to that the 2 heavyweights of YM [Minaj and Drake] have both released there Debut albums already so they have the buzz on their side.


Dont get me wrong its not gonna be a landslide for YM cause Roc Nation has some Heavy Hitters of its own along with the "MAN" himself in Jay-Z. The video didnt cover the managed artists by Roc Nation which are artists like Rihanna and Wale. Also they have Great producer No I.D. on there squad which makes things all the more interesting. 


Hit the jump for more

But the core for Roc Nation is probably gonna stem out from J. Cole who seems like the most marketable from the group and Im not counting Jay-Z as apart of it [neither do I count Wayne as apart of YM]  he's more like his own seperate power who's just affiliated with them. Cole has what most rap listeners want these days: Lyrics, Hooks, and Marketability["Swag" and catchy songs]. J.Cole's currently riding of the success of his latest mixtape Friday Night Lights. And I agree 100% with wat the guys says about Jay Electronica being more lyrical than Cole, I mean they're both great but Jay Elec got em. And Elec is gonna do his thing but I dnt think he cares much for the mainstream love and he just wants his music to be heard and he'll be fine with that. I do think he may need to put out a mixtape or two to get his name out there because not many people know him. Although I gotta say that I am not sold on the current "1-Hit Wonder" Willow Smith can strike gold many more times, sorry Im just not buying it. And Im gonna mention Wale and Rihanna in this Roc Nation thing cause they are managed by them and rep it constantly. We all know Rihanna and how popular she is and and is still becoming more popular. Her album Loud just dropped and if Im not mistaken it debuted #1 on Billboard with 207,000+ album sales in the first week. So they will have that powerhouse presence as the 1st Lady of the Roc. Also, Wale who gained alot of attention for his mixtape More About Nothing which literally broke the internet and just like his labelmate J.Cole later did. I think we all know that as far album sales go Wale's Debut album Attention Deficit didnt do too well, but I feel with the release of the mixtape and the #NoDaysOff movement things will be better this time. But this will be interesting.


Now Young Money with the head honcho now out of prison are gonna get on their grind. Drake and Nicki Minaj are currently peaking in popularity right now and its amazing because they did off little or no Lil Wayne help. And thats saying something cause if you had the Hottest rapper of the last 5 yrs you would definitely piggy-back some of his fame. But Wayne says he likes to let his artists do their own thing and develop in there own way. Some budding heads for YM could be Tyga, Cory Gunz, and Short Dawg. With that being said I think Bow Wow is done and played out. Maybe Im wrong and I hope he proves me wrong cause I like for everybody to succeed but for now.....no. And the 2 gremlings [Lil Twist X Lil Chuckee] they are horrible and are not relevant and are a big reason why YM is looked upon poorly. Like forreal how can these kids who are so bad at rapping now be set for life?? tsk tsk I swear. And from the looks of it YM can practically get Cool & Dre and Tha Bizness to drop them some instrumentals whenever they want it so they can sort of battle the Greatness of No I.D. But we'll see....


I will also like to end like this. I felt GOOD Music should've been on there or at least mentioned because Having Kanye West, Common, KiD CuDi, Big Sean, Pusha T, Cyhi The Prince, John Legend, GLC, Consequence, etc make them a legitimate contender by all means. I wont talk about GOOD because I think its self-explanatory how "good" they are. But with all this being said its not really a bloody fistfight from either of these camps and you shouldnt expect one. Just look at the Collaborations: "Whats my Name" [Rihanna X Drake], "Looking For Trouble" [GOOD X J.Cole], "Made" [ Big Sean X Drake], "Monster" [Kanye, Ross, Nicki, and Jay-z], and "Light Up" [Drake X Jay-Z], etc. But I think we can expect good things from 2011.

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo